UNION PIER — The 2019 Harbor Country Art Attack will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 26, 27 and 28.
The schedule for the 26th annual celebration of “All That is Art” follows:
• Matthew Raney at David’s Delicatessen & Coffee, 30 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-7177, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. His acrylic paintings on large canvas will be on display all weekend and also during business hours at the after-hours False Front. Raney will be on hand at David’s Deli from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday to do some painting and discuss his work.
• Fix Your Own Lamp at Catherine and Company, 900 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-2742, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday. Do you have a lamp that is not working? Bring a single bulb lamp that is not working and learn to fix it yourself. The workshop is free. You only pay for parts used. Visitpors will vote in an Ugliest Lamp Contest (participants must get the lamp to Catherine and Company before Friday, April 26). Also (both 12 to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday) Hawaii Calls (art of interest from Hawaii Island including interesting offerings sourced through a new art co-op — original paintings, watercolors, pottery, jewelry, baskets, note cards and a variety of fiber art) and a Lei Making Workshop (celebrate spring and string a lei of local spring flowers and “talk story.” Workshop and materials are free as long as supplies last).
• New Spring Reveal at Sweet Pea Studio, 5794 Sawyer Rd., Sawyer, (269) 426-1790, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The mother-daughter team at Sweet Pea Studio has a 60 year history of painted furniture. The new line of hand-painted tin ceiling tile designs have been developed over the years to be mini works of art. Stop by for one of their famous chocolate cookies and some refreshments.
• Jeff Lieb Trunk Show at Indian Summer Boutique, 439 S. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-9994, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The new spring line of wearable art jewelry by Jeff Lieb consists of over 600 new pieces. His designs consist of many different elements including crystal, stone, aluminum, rubber, vintage findings and more.
• The Deetour at Custom Imports, 139 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-9180, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunda. Destination: Customs’ Aquarium, Relaxation Station, and Buddhafest. All new exhibits are just arriving from the serene villages of Bali. The Aquarium Exhibit is all new with never before seen fish. There will be refreshments, gifts, drawings, ceremonial incense and more surprises.
• Just B! at Studio B Gallery/Just b., 114 N. Elm St., Three Oaks, (269) 756-9954, 12 to 6 p.m. Friday, 10 to 6 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Join us as we celebrate our 15th season in Three Oaks. Visit our working artist and retail space for a behind the scenes view of our growing greeting card line, “Occasionally Speaking.” In addition discover curated finds from makers and artists near and far such as one-of-a-kind paintings, sculpture, jewelry, prints and more.
• Seaglass Jewelry at Local Color Gallery, 16187 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-5332, 12 to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We are proud to offer a beautiful and unique selection of seaglass jewelry created from art glass and antique and recycled glassware. Carol and Mark Hall are celebrating 32 years as partners in their award winning studio, White Light Production.
• One Voice - An Exhibition by Martha Cares at Fritz Olsen Sculptures & My Rescue Studio, 6914 W. Holloway Dr., Sawyer, (269) 426-3003, 12 to 6 p.m. Friday, 12 to 8 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Experience the artwork of Martha Cares in an exciting new exhibit which combines over 150 elements into one powerful statement of unity. She continues to be recognized for her efforts to raise funds and awareness through My Rescue, her iconic Red Dog, which has a presence in all fifty states.
• Shimmer - New Works by Fritz Olsen at Fritz Olsen Sculptures & My Rescue Studio, 6914 W. Holloway Dr., Sawyer, (269) 426-3003, 12 to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Nationally recognized Sawyer, Michigan based artist Fritz Olsen introduces dimensional works of art designed to enhance and enliven any space.
• In Search of a Title Competition at Fritz Olsen Sculptures & My Rescue Studio, 6914 W. Holloway Dr., Sawyer, (269) 426-3003, 12 to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Submit your best created title for a newly unveiled work of art. Submit your entry during Art Attack for a chance to win a wonderful prize from the gallery.
• Unique, One-of-a-Kind Art Exhibit and Sale at HCM Vintage Finds, 12816 Red Arrow Hwy., Sawyer, (269) 426-4030, 12 to 6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. HCM Vintage Finds has been collecting and saving many unique, one-of-a-kind prints, paintings, and photographs from the 1920’s to today and has an entire shop filled with special collectibles and vintage finds of all kinds, all donated by the people of Harbor Country. All proceeds go to Harbor Country Mission whose sole purpose is helping the most vulnerable members of our community.
• Pokagon Artists: Native Traditions at The Pokagon Fund Art Gallery, 821 E. Buffalo St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-9322, 1 to 4 p.m. Friday, 10 to 4 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 4 p.m. Sunday. The works of local Pokagon Tribe artists Kathy Getz Fodness, John Fox, Angie Rice, Mary Martin, Christina Rapp, Barbara Ann Warren, Candi Wesaw, Candi Wilcox, Rose Maiure, Todd Miller, Mandy Galvan, Lisa Downing, and Sarah and Clyde Brazie Jr. will be on display and for sale at the Pokagon Fund Art Gallery. Items will include paintings (oil and acrylic), native beadwork, quillwork, ceramics, applique and ribbon work, wood burning on grounds, wire wrapped jewelry, Petoskey stone jewelry, and photography. Join us for an artist’s reception on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
• New Chairs at Bill McCollum Studio, 16109 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-9211, 1 to 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Come and see the new chairs created by Floyd Gompf. Occasional chairs, dining chairs, tables and more.
• Casey’s Eat Your Art Out! at Casey’s of New Buffalo, 136 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-6400, 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 2 p.m. Sunday. Casey’s is thrilled to be featuring the works of local photographer Joel Brussel, who has lived in New Buffalo for over twenty years. Casey’s is also lucky enough to be hosting artist Robyn Ladwig from Jackson, Mich. Robyn’s paintings (mostly done in acrylic and epoxy resin) give you an aerial view of various waterways from the ocean to the Great Lakes.
• Dawn Dorsey Art Exhibit, Oil Paintings and Pastels at McCollum Architects, 16109 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 921-6669, 6 to 8 p.m. Friday
McCollum Architects is proud to host artist Dawn Dorsey who has a working studio in the architect’s screen porch. Pastel and oil paintings are beautifully displayed in a light-filled space. Join us for an artist’s reception to meet Dawn and browse her gallery. Art Demonstrations in the studio are planned for 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday.
• Genius Night at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo, (734)646-6633, 6:30 p.m. Friday. Local and regional literary, performance, and visual artists share their unique talents before an audience. Coffee, tea, and snacks. $5 at the door (cash or credit).
• Spaces with Soul at Fredman Design Group, 15998 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-9640, 7 to 9 p.m. Friday. Join us for three days in celebration of “Spaces and Soul” and all who contribute to this destination with meaningful design, creative energy and artistic achievement benefitting our experiences, our spaces and each other. Stop by the opening reception and enjoy local craft beer or fine Michigan wine with delicious bites prepared by Food Flirt, Lindsay Navama. She is the author of “Hungry for Harbor Country.”
• Live Music at Casey’s of New Buffalo, 136 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-6400, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. Enjoy live music at Casey’s until 1 a.m.
• You’re Invited - The Art of Creating Your Own She Shed at Designer CottageScapes of Harbor Country, 112 N. Whittaker St. No. C, New Buffalo, (269) 469-9190, 10 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Ladies, this is your time to enjoy our fun display, vignettes, books, handouts, merchandise, and demonstrations in our boutique gallery for creating your own “She Shed, Hen Hut, or Lady Lounge.” Learn how to identify your own She-Style. Designer CottageScapes wil help you create your own little piece of heaven. Enjoy special eats and treats catered by Fresco of New Buffalo, both Saturday and Sunday 1 to 3 p.m.
• Spaces with Soul at Fredman Design Group, 15998 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-9640, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Satuday and Sunday. Introducing Aronson Woodworks, a family-owned small-batch operation in Iowa, that is wowing the country with stunning, live-edge furniture from reclaimed woods and patented waterfall CLAIZE in a full range of color to complement any decor and palette.
• 18 Artists at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 6 p.m. Sunday
Come see original paintings in oil, acrylic, and watercolor. Pastel, color pencil and graphite drawings, photography, pottery, and prints are displayed throughout the art center. The artists are from Harbor Country, Southeast Michigan, LaPorte, Chicago, Colorado, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania.
• 3D Painting at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 6 p.m. Sunday. Fun for all ages. Choose your favorite plaster figurine, trinket box, or wall plaque to paint with acrylics. It will be finished with a shiny acrylic spray and ready
to take home after twenty minutes. Average cost $8 to $10.
• Art Scavenger Hunt at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 6 p.m. Sunday. Free. Fun for all ages. Study the objects in the gallery’s prints, photos, paintings, drawings, and pottery to find the objects of the hunt. Choose a small prize when completed.
• Music - Earth Theory: Eric Lester and Mark Magliola at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday
Earth Theory’s sound is an improvisational, acoustic, world music sound where indigenous music and multiple cultural tradition music types intermingle.
• Raffle of a Folk Art Painting by Heidi Brotherton at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday
“I think of my painting style as Modern Primitive, because I love bold colors and simplicity in my work. Art is everything to me. Creating something is what I have to do whether it is designing, gardening, or painting.”
• Beachy Home Decor by Roger and RaeAnn Brown at The Hidden Gem, 122 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-8060, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Join us as we welcome two of our top selling artists, RaeAnn and Roger Brown. This crafty couple collects driftwood and beach rocks from local beaches and uses them to create some of the most original home decor pieces including sailboats, owls, flamingos, fish, signs, votives, and much more.
• Sweet Treats by Dollypop Creations at Twisted Frozen Yogurt, 122 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (708) 574-8320, 12 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Twisted Frozen Yogurt is proud to introduce Dollypop Creations to Harbor Country. Come check out these beautiful, edible art pieces. Chocolate high heel shoes, chocolate covered oreos, and cake pops are a few of the yummy creations that Dollypop will feature.
• Off The Wall and Off The Rack at On the Lounge Slipcover Studio, 9935 Townline Rd., Union Pier, (269) 469-4354, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 3 p.m. Sunday. Enjoy the sights of Wearable Art and Artistic Wares by Brenda McNight aka “The Hat Lady.” Expect the unexpected as paintings, fashion, and accessories collide inspired by memories of growing up on the beach. This event is kicked off with a runway brunch on Saturday at 11 a.m. sponsored by Diane Pyshos of A&N Mortgage and People’s Property.
• Gallery Exhibits at The Plum Tree, 16337 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-5980, 12 to 6 p.m. Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Tearing It Up in the 49129 - Abstract collage by Tim Rodeghier. Very Intree...esting - Collage/paintings of trees by Tim Rodeghier. The Fruit of Her Labors - Fruit and vegetable paintings by Pat Rodeghier, including a number of never before exhibited oils and watercolors. Junk Journals - In Progress - Different ways of constructing a junk journal.
• Abby Girl at Local Color Gallery, 16187 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-5332, 12 to 6 p.m. Saturday, 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Abby Girl is the fiber art collection created by Local Color Gallery co-owner Rita Cochran. She has been influenced by the art of her niece Abby, and the elementary students she teaches. Texture, color, and just pure fun have entered into these fiber images. Also in this collection is wearable art created from recycled materials.
• Double Encore - Jewelry and Photography at On the Lounge Slipcover Studio, 9935 Townline Rd., Union Pier, (269) 469-4354, 12 to 5 p.m. Saturday
People’s Property is welcoming back two of our favorites: Imaginary Girl Jewelry and Kathleen Ellen Marshall Photography. Imaginary Girl features one-of-a-kind necklaces, earrings, rings, and bracelets handcrafted by jewelry is an eclectic mix of past and present using vintage pieces in each design and as inspiration. Marshall creates digital collage photography shot and edited entirely on a smartphone. By combining current technology with a background in traditional fine art, Marshall’s works focus on architectural manipulation and abstract scenes which invite the viewer into a surreal world.
• Art Talk and Color Pencil Drawing Demo at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 1 p.m. Saturday LaPorte artist Rob Prellwitz will talk about his work and demonstrate his technique for color pencil drawing.
• “Make and Take” Art Workshop/Class at HCM Vintage Finds, 12816 Red Arrow Hwy., Sawyer, (269) 426-4030, 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. “Make and Take” art class is taught by Jordan Klint, industrial artist, helped by fellow artist Hannah Bunch). Create and take home your very own special art created with upcycled and recycled materials. Class cost is $10 and covers all materials needed. Class sizes are limited, so reserve your spot now as they will go fast.
• Pottery on the Wheel at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Artist, instructor, and musician, Jane Pellouchoud, will be demonstrating creating pottery on a wheel.
• Artist’s Reception at Lake Interiors, 15412 Red Arrow Hwy., Lakeside, (269) 231-5434, 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday. Kathy Hanley and Cynthia Frandsen of Lake Interiors would like to invite you to an artist’s reception. Lake Interiors will be celebrating everything “spring.”
• Rocks in my Head at Local Color Gallery, 16187 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-5332, 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday, 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Inspired by countless walks along the beaches of Southwest Michigan, artist Paul Goldenberg has collected more beautiful rocks than he knows what to do with. With careful design, he has found a whimsical way for each of us to bring a little bit of nature into our homes. Some of his creations give the appearance of rocks defying gravity and effortlessly floating. Reasonably priced, these rock sculptures make great gifts.
• Northern Light at Local Color Gallery, 16187 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269)0 469-5332, 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday, 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Ed Ravine paints watercolors and the reflection of light. The landscapes in the show are scenes from the Hiawatha National Forest in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, the Nooksack River of Deming, Washington, and the Galien River in Harbor Country.
• Cocktail Demonstration at Casey’s of New Buffalo, 136 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo (269) 469-6400, 4 p.m. Saturday. Our own “Bar Master” Suzanne will be hosting a “Creating the Perfect Classic Cocktail” demonstration to get the party started.
• Cooking Demonstration at Casey’s of New Buffalo, 136 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo, (269) 469-6400, 2 p.m. Sunday. Join Casey’s chef for a “Cooking with Beer” demonstration that is sure to inspire you.
• Author! Author! Readings and Reception at Center of the World Woodshop, 13400 Red Arrow Hwy., Harbert, (269) 469-5687, 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday
B.A. Brittingham, award winning author, will read from her latest novel, “American Dishonor,” and Chriss Lyon will read from “Capone’s Playground.” Mingling with other local authors while enjoying drinks and nibbles will round out this stimulating event.
• Artist Wine Reception at Fritz Olsen Sculptures and My Rescue Studio, 6914 W. Holloway Dr., Sawyer, (269) 426-3003, 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday
Come enjoy a glass of wine with artists Fritz Olsen and Martha Cares in their gracious Sawyer, Michigan studio space. The studio is a lovingly restored azalea nursery from the 1930’s.
• Grand Opening Reception at Piece by Piece, 16142 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (847) 840-3350, 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Celebrate with us and enjoy wine and hors d’oeuvres at Julie Kaplan’s working mosiac studio joined by fellow artist Karen Szyp. Karen’s jewelry designs include pieces using silver, leather, semi-precious and local stones, and the popular 2-in-1 leather wrist/ankle wraps. Designs are inspired by the beautiful shores of Harbor Country.
• Celebrating the Paintings of Marie Kirk Burke at Tom Hemingway Re/max Harbor Country Bluefish Vacation Rentals and Timothy’s Restaurant, 16409 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-0468, 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Please join Tom Hemingway of Remax Harbor Country and Jason and Erika Milovich of Bluefish Vacation Rentals at the artist’s reception with wine, food and fun.
• Music at Casey’s of New Buffalo, 136 N. Whittaker St., New Buffalo (269) 469-6400, 10 p.m. Saturday. If you are still up for more Art Attack Fun, join our DJ for some late night music.
• Singing Crystal Bowls at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 12 p.m. Sunday. Yoga in the Buff instructor, Jennifer Siewert, demonstrates her singing crystal bowls.
• Art Talk and Pencil Drawing Demo at Elsie Earl Studios, 200 W. Buffalo St., New Buffalo (734) 646-6633, 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday. New Buffalo High School teacher, Jake Zapor, will talk about his work and then demonstrate his technique for pencil drawing.
• Homemade Jam at Local Color Gallery, 16187 Red Arrow Hwy., Union Pier, (269) 469-5332, 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Listen to the ancient sounds of strings and melodies of the Lincoln Era. Back again this year by popular demand, Homemade Jam will set a background of music with hammered dulcimer, guitar, banjo, and bass-taking you to a place where maybe you’ve never been before. Kathy Leek from Union Mills, along with Dan Moser and Jack Collings, have played at state parks and local festivals throughout the area for the last two decades.