THREE OAKS — Tori Wilson and Kai Harrison were crowned 2019 Three Oaks Flag Day Princess and Prince in the River Valley High School Auditorium on Sunday, May 19.

Wilson, 8, is the daughter of Jessica Miles and Alex Wilson. The Three Oaks Elementary third-grader wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up.

Tori said her great, great, great-grandfather (Herbert Flick) “was the one who made the Flag Day Parade.”

Harrison, 5, is the son of John and Randi Harrison. He attends kindergarten at Chikaming Elementary and likes to play baseball and football.

Both said they were looking forward to being a part of the 2019 Flag Day Parade (scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday, June 9, in downtown Three Oaks).

“I can’t wait, I like convertibles!” Harrison said.

The pageant began with contestants (and 2018 Prince and Princess Aaron York and Lou Lou Taylor) marching through the aisles to the tune “It’s a Grand Old Flag.”

Emcees were Miss Three Oaks/River Valley (and First Runner-up to Miss Blossomtime) Claudia Moore and Mr. Three Oaks/River Valley Jacob Good.

Contestants included (Princess) Bella Donkersloot; Joey Grosso; Erin Henry; Peyton Monroe; and Taylor Rainwater; (Prince) Keegan Perry.

Judges were Kaitlyn Head, Taylor Godde and Sami Strauss.

Helping to escort the contestants and keep the show on rack were Miss Three Oaks/River Valley Court member Dayna Schumm; Miss Teen River Valley First Runner-up Alexis Walton; Miss Junior Teen River Valley Ava Ledesma; and Miss Junior Teen court members Addyson Frazier and Brianna Taylor.

American Legion Post 204 Auxiliary is bringing back the Flag Day Tug-of-War and Arm Wrestling contests on the afternoon of Saturday, June 8, along with a 9 p.m. performance that night by PS Dump Your Boyfriend followed by fireworks.

Saturday of Flag Day weekend will begin with a morning 5K walk and run at Watkins Park.

    •    The schedule follows: 7:30-8:45 a.m. Packet Pickup and Same Day Registration; 9 a.m. race begins; 10 a.m. awards ceremony.

    •    Registration is $20 through May 26; $25 from May 27-June 6 (online registration ends on June 6); and $30 for same-day registration (25 percent of proceeds will go toward the Three Oaks Flag Day Parade and the other 75 percent will be split between David Hicks Foundation, Ronald McDonald House and the River Valley Cross Country team). To register, go to https://runsignup.com/Race/MI/ThreeOaks/FlagDay5KRun.

Art in the Park will take place Saturday and Sunday in Carver Park and the Post 204 field will host a co-ed slow-pitch softball tournament begins Friday evening, June 7.

Sunday, June 9, activities are headlined by the World’s Largest Flag Day Parade at 3 p.m. (with pre-parade ceremonies downtown).

A Pancake Breakfast at the Three Oaks Fire Station kicks off the day at 8 a.m. The Scottville Clown Band is scheduled to perform at Post 204 at 5:30 p.m. Sunday followed by music from Lake Breeze.

For more, go to threeoaksflagday.com/

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.