NEW TROY — The 9th annual Run to the Center of the World will be held on Saturday, October 24, as a live, in-person event.
To reduce contact and keep everyone as safe as possible, same-day sign up will not be offered this year. Online registration closes on October 23 at 5 p.m. (links to register online are available at facebook.com/RunToTheCenter and www.FriendsOfNewTroy.org).
To keep racers, volunteers, and the community safe, participation will be capped at 100 racers.
Other changes being adopted are:
• Staggered starts. Racers may start as soon as they pick up their packet. Half marathon runners can start anytime from 8:00 am to 8:30 am; 5K and 10K runners can start anytime from 8:00 am to 9:30 am. So their times can be recorded, runners will check in with the timing table when they are ready to start.
• Breakfast will be pre-packed and included in a bag with race shirt and bib.
• There will be no prizes or awards ceremony.
• Masks will be required everywhere but on the course. Racers will be asked to consider fellow runners and pass "wide."
• Winners will receive their certificates by mail.
Traditions that will carry on are:
• Scott Vines’ cannon will announce the official “start” of the race at 8:00 am.
• Carved wooden medals created by Center of the World Woodship will be presented to every finisher.
• Winners will have their names engraved on a brick to be placed in the Community Center Garden.
• Race results will be posted on Webscorer.com.
Proceeds from the race benefit the New Troy Community Center, which receives no government funding and is supported entirely through memberships, donations, grants, and fundraising events. The event is hosted by Friends of New Troy.
Maps, information, and the link to register online are available at facebook.com/RunToTheCenter and www.FriendsOfNewTroy.org. Registration forms and sponsor forms may also be requested by phone/text to 269-405-6857 or email to FriendsOfNewTroy@yahoo.com.