GLENDORA — The congregation of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Glendora, located at the corner of Cleveland Avenue and Glendora Road, is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. The theme of the celebration is “100 Years Cultivating the Lord’s Harvest.”
The church began as a mission church in 1919, led by Rev. Louis Neuchterlein and Rev. William Essig.
Early services were held above a store in Glendora. Later that year, 13 families organized the first congregation and purchased property to build a church. Dedication of the first church was on May 1, 1921, and included a wood-carved altar, two colored murals adorning the front of the church and a reed organ in the balcony. Both German and English services were offered.
On October 11, 1970, property was purchased for a new church one-half mile west of the old building. Groundbreaking was in March of 1973 and the present church and educational facility was dedicated in October 1973. The Rev. Jonathan Liebich is the current pastor.
A special service is planned for Sunday, April 7, at 10 a.m. with the Rev. David Maier, President of the Michigan District, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, as guest speaker. Friends and former members are invited to attend. A catered meal will follow the service.
For more information, please call the church at (269) 422-2554. For dinner tickets, call 269 (429) 3854.
Additional services commemorating the 100th anniversary are planned for September 8 and October 20.