HARBERT — A man who was found dead inside a vehicle last month in Union Pier died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to police.
Luis Reyes, 20, of Joliet, Ill., was visiting friends in Union Pier when he died.
Chikaming Township Police Chief Todd Taylor said friends called police after finding Reyes unresponsive in his car parked outside 15882 Center St. at about 9 a.m. March 24.
The friends told police Reyes had gone out to his vehicle at about 1 a.m. and sat for hours in the running car watching videos on his phone. They said they checked on him from time-to-time and ultimately found him unresponsive.
Responding officers tried life-saving measures but Reyes was pronounced dead at the scene. Taylor said there was no evidence of foul play at the scene or in the vehicle. Following an autopsy, the death was ruled accidental.
Most people are aware of the danger of sitting in a running vehicle inside a garage or other building. But carbon monoxide poisoning is possible in a car that is running outdoors, especially if there is a leak in the exhaust system.